If you are in a situation where you cannot exit the vehicle to open the trunk, this feature can be a lifesaver. It is always helpful to know about the emergency features of your vehicle, so you can be prepared for any situation. Jeeps are one of the most versatile vehicles on the market. They are perfect for off-roading, outdoor adventures, and daily commutes.
However, sometimes even the most reliable vehicles can cause problems. One of the most frustrating situations you can encounter with your jeep is when you are unable to open the trunk from the inside. This can be especially concerning if you are trapped inside the vehicle and need to access the trunk. Fortunately, jeep has provided an emergency release handle that allows you to open the trunk from the inside, even if you cannot exit the vehicle.
In this article, we will discuss the steps to open the jeep trunk from the inside and how to troubleshoot common issues.
Features And Components Of The Jeep Trunk
The jeep trunk comes with several features and components that make it quite useful for jeep owners.
- The jeep trunk is made of a sturdy material that ensures it is durable and can withstand harsh weather conditions.
- The trunk comes with hinges and shocks that make opening and closing the trunk a breeze.
- It is spacious and can accommodate large items with ease.
- The jeep trunk has rubber seals that provide a watertight seal, protecting your belongings from water damages.
How The Locking Mechanism Works
The jeep trunk’s locking mechanism is quite straightforward and easy to use.
- The jeep trunk comes with a keyhole that you can use to lock and unlock the trunk.
- If you’re inside the car, you can open the trunk by pulling the latch located on the door panel near the driver’s seat.
- Some jeep models have a remote trunk release button that you can use to open the trunk from the inside or outside of the car.
Different Types Of Jeep Trunks And Their Functionality
Jeep trunks come in different types, each with varying functionalities.
- Hardtop jeep trunks are made of durable material and can withstand harsh weather conditions. They offer maximum protection for your belongings and are ideal for long-distance travels.
- Soft top jeep trunks are made of soft fabric and are easier to remove and store. They are ideal for short-distance travels and are not as durable as hardtop trunks.
- Removable jeep trunks come with a removable lid, which makes them quite versatile. You can remove the lid and store bulky items with ease.
Understanding your jeep’s trunk is essential as it helps you use it efficiently and know how to open it from the inside. With this knowledge, you’ll be able to make the most out of your jeep’s storage and transportation capabilities.
List Of Tools You Will Require To Open The Jeep Trunk From Inside
Opening the jeep’s trunk from inside requires a specific set of tools that you will need to keep in your vehicle.
- Oneself: it might seem obvious, but you will need to be in the vehicle to open the jeep’s trunk from inside.
- A phillips screwdriver: this particular screwdriver is needed to move the lock mechanism on the inside of the trunk lid.
- Headlamp or flashlight: as the inside of the trunk lacks lighting, a flashlight or a headlamp is essential to be able to identify the lock mechanism more effectively.
- A helper: if you face any difficulty in completing the process, you may need assistance to make it easy.
Safety Precautions To Take Before Attempting To Open The Trunk
Before you start opening the trunk from the inside, make sure that you take these necessary safety precautions:
- Ensure that the vehicle is empty: there should be no one in the trunk before you attempt to open it.
- Turn off the engine: ensure that the engine is turned off before attempting to open the jeep’s trunk from inside.
- Wear gloves: to avoid any injuries or cuts on the hands, it is better to wear gloves while handling the screwdriver.
- Keep calm: it is essential to stay calm and composed while attempting to open the trunk from inside. A state of panic may lead to mistakes being made.
By taking the necessary safety precautions and ensuring that you have the required tools, you can easily open the jeep’s trunk from inside. Remember, safety should always come first, so don’t be in a hurry to get the job done.
Take your time and help will always be available to assist when needed.
Jeep Cherokee – How to open trunk
Step-By-Step Instructions On How To Open The Trunk From Inside The Vehicle
Opening the jeep trunk from inside the vehicle is a simple process.
- Locate the lever: look for a lever located near the driver’s seat on the floor. The lever will have an image of an open trunk on it.
- Pull the lever: once you’ve located the lever, simply pull it towards you.
- Lift the trunk: after pulling the lever, the trunk should pop open. You can then lift the trunk to access the contents inside.
How To Troubleshoot If The Trunk Won’t Open
If you’ve followed the steps above and the trunk won’t open, there might be a problem with the latch or lock.
- Check the lock: ensure that the lock on the trunk is set to “unlocked. ” if it is, try pressing the lever again to see if it releases the latch.
- Check the latch: if the lock is already unlocked, but the trunk still won’t open, the latch might be stuck. Check if the latch is stuck by pressing on it to see if it moves.
- Inspect the lever: if the latch is not stuck, but the lever isn’t working, it might be time to replace the lever.
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Opening The Trunk
Like any task, opening the jeep trunk from the inside might have some hiccups.
- Forgetting to check the lock: before pulling the lever, double-check that the lock is set to “unlocked. ” if it’s not, the lever won’t work.
- Pulling the lever too hard: while the lever needs to be pulled, you don’t need to put too much force into it. Excessive force can damage the lever or latch.
- Ignoring stuck latches: if the latch is stuck, don’t force the lever. Instead, inspect the latch and address the issue before attempting to open the trunk again.
Opening the jeep trunk from inside the vehicle is a simple process that requires finding the lever located near the driver’s seat and pulling it. If the trunk won’t open, try troubleshooting the issue by checking the lock and latch, and inspecting the lever.
By avoiding common mistakes like forcing the lever and ignoring stuck latches, you can ensure that your jeep trunk works smoothly every time.
Alternative Methods To Open Jeep Trunk From Inside
Jeep trunks are usually opened from the outside using a key or remote control. But sometimes, it can be difficult to open the trunk from outside, especially when the key is lost or malfunctioning. In this case, alternative methods to open the jeep trunk from inside can be used.
Other Techniques To Open The Trunk From Inside If The First Method Doesn’T Work
If the primary method of opening the jeep trunk from inside through the latch release near the passenger seat is ineffective, there are other techniques to try.
- Using a coat hanger: straighten the coat hanger, insert it through the gap between the trunk and back seat, and try to hook and pull the release lever.
- Using a screwdriver: insert the screwdriver through the gap between the trunk and back seat and try to push the lock release with it.
- Using the emergency release: the jeep has an emergency release located under the rear headrests on the inside of the tailgate. Pull the cord to release the tailgate latch.
Tools That Can Be Used As An Alternative
Apart from the emergency release, tools can be used to open the jeep trunk from inside.
- Pry bar: a pry bar can be used to pry open the back door if the latch is stuck or jammed.
- Hammer and chisel: this can be effective when the latch is stuck, and you need to break it.
- Pliers: pliers can be used to pull the latch release if it is stuck.
Precautions To Take When Using Alternative Methods
It’s essential to take necessary precautions when using alternative methods to open the jeep trunk from inside.
- Use protective gear such as gloves, safety goggles, and working boots to protect yourself from potential hazards.
- Be cautious when using the pry bar or screwdriver to avoid damaging the vehicle body or interior.
- When using the hammer and chisel, take care not to hammer too hard to avoid damaging the surrounding parts.
- Avoid using excessive force when pulling the release lever or cord. If the first few attempts fail, try other methods instead of forcing your way through.
By following these alternative methods and taking precautions, it’s easier for you to open the jeep trunk from inside without much hassle.
Frequently Asked Questions For How To Open Jeep Trunk From Inside
How Do I Open The Jeep Trunk From Inside?
To open the jeep trunk from inside, locate the emergency latch pull handle. It’s usually at the center of the tailgate. Pull the handle, and the trunk will release immediately.
Can I Open The Jeep Trunk With A Dead Battery?
Yes, you can open the jeep trunk with a dead battery. Open the hood, locate the positive terminal, connect the portable jump-start device to the battery, and press the trunk release button.
What If The Emergency Latch Is Broken, And I Can’T Open The Trunk?
If the emergency latch is broken, you can still open the jeep’s trunk. Push the seat from the back, remove the bolts that hold the seat, and crawl inside the trunk and open it from there.
Why Won’t My Jeep Trunk Open Even After Pulling The Emergency Latch?
If the jeep trunk doesn’t open after pulling the emergency latch, try releasing it and then pushing down firmly on the trunk. If that doesn’t work, you may need to replace the latch or consult a professional mechanic.
Opening the trunk of a jeep from inside is a simple procedure that requires a little patience and some technical know-how. As we have seen in this guide, there are various ways to accomplish this task: by removing the rear seat, using a manual latch, or accessing the emergency release cable.
Before trying any of these methods, ensure that you have the right tools and a clear understanding of the process. Also, make sure that you follow the necessary safety precautions to prevent any accidents or damages to your jeep. By mastering these tricks, you can easily pop open your jeep’s trunk from the inside and access your belongings without any hassle.
So, give these methods a try and enjoy the convenience and flexibility that comes with knowing how to open your jeep trunk from inside.